Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Return of Queen Chrysalis, Part 1|
|Regular Cover A by Andy Price|
|Release date||November 28, 2012|
"Welcome to Ponyville, home of Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and all your other favorite Ponies! Something’s not right in the town though, as some of the inhabitants are acting very, very strange! It’s up to the Mane Six to find the source of the weirdness before it’s too late!"
Success of the comicEdit
According to Diamond Comics' sales rankings for the year 2012, issue #1 is ranked 90th in total unit sales; in dollar sales, it's ranked 61th. It's also by far the best selling IDW comic in 2012. In IDW history, the comic has beaten Godzilla #1 as the best ranked comic and it had the best selling launch. Right now, the MLP comic is expecting it's fourth print.
The first issue from the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Comic has a total of 20 different covers:
- 6 regular covers
- 1 subscription variant cover
- 1 retailer incentive cover
- 12 retailer exclusive variant covers
All links to the online shops provided in the list below are just examples where the comics can be bought. We don't get any money for linking specific websites.
The six regular covers are drawn by Andy Price. Each of the covers feature one of the 'Mane Six' characters with some other popular characters in the background. All six of the regular covers merge into a big picture if put right next to each other. To make it easier to get all the different covers at once, IDW also published a boxset with all of the regular covers in an exclusive slipcase.
- Get the single issues and the boxset here: mycomicshop.com
As with many comics, the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Comic also had a subscription variant cover. Every subscriber gets this special cover. Many online shops also sell them to non-subscribers. The cover itself is drawn by Jill Thompson and shows Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie with some 'evil' ponies in the foreground right in front of Twilight Sparkle's library.
- Get the subscription variant here: mycomicshop.com
Retailer Incentive CoverEdit
For every 10 ordered copies of the regular comic, retailers will get this special '10 copy incentive' variant. Because of it's rareness, most shops sell it for a higher price than the regular ones and it might be harder to get one of them. This cover was drawn by Stephanie Buscema and it shows Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Angel in Ponyville. The art style looks very similar to the original style of the show.
- Get the retailer incentive here: mycomicshop.com
Retailer Exclusive VariantsEdit
A complete list with all 12 retailer exclusive variants including links to their online shops can be found right below this sentence. The covers can be found in the Issue #1 Gallery or in the All Covers Gallery.
- Double Midnight Comics Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Dynamic Forces Variant by Andy Price featuring:
- Page 3 of the actual comic with a small white box for sketches
- Ghost Variant by Melanie Tingdahl featuring:
- Hastings Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Jetpack Comics Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Fluttershy in some kind of superheroine costume and pose
- Merges into a big picture if put next to the Larry's Comics variant
- Limited to 750 copies
- Larry's Comics Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Rainbow Dash in some kind of superheroine costume and pose
- Merges into a big picture if put next to the Jetpack Comics variant
- Limited to 750 copies
- Jetpack Comics / Larry's Comics Shared Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Lone Star Comics Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Midtown Comics Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Derpy Hooves laying in a pile of comics while holding one comic in her mouth
- Third Eye Comics Variant by Amy Mebberson featuring:
- Detroit Comic Book Stores Variant by Katie Cook featuring:
The comic itself can be bought for mobile devices which run iOS or Android.
- ↑ IDW Solicitations for November 2012, Bleeding Cool, Retrieved on January 19, 2013.
- ↑ Top 500 Comics 2012, Diamond Comics, Retrieved on January 20, 2013
- ↑ Pony stomps Godzilla, The Comichron, Retrieved on January 20, 2013
- ↑ MLP Comic thread in a german MLP forum, Bronies.de, Retrieved on January 20, 2013